Filipino Nannies: Salary Requirements and Live-in Caregiver Program

If you have decided that hiring a Filipino nanny is right for you, you will need to know a few things: First, you should know that standard rates for live-in and live-out Filipino nannies. Second, you should be familiar with the requirements of Canada’s Live-in Caregiver Program, which you will probably need to comply with when hiring a Filipino nanny.

Standard Salaries for Filipino Nannies in Canada
While the standard salary for Filipino nannies in Canada tends to vary from province to province, it is always set by the Employment Standards Regulation. You can check the rates for your province on the Government of Canada’s Labour Program website. But just to give you an example, In Alberta, hiring a live-out Filipino nanny means paying:
an hourly minimum wage of $9.95 for most employees;
a weekly minimum wage of $397 for many salespersons, including land agents and certain professionals; and
a monthly minimum wage of $1,893 for domestic employees.

For live-in Filipino nannies, the minimum amount of work and wages is:
- $9.62/hour
- 44 hours/week
- $336/month

Canada’s Live-In Caregiver Program

To qualify for the program, you must provide documentation that you will be able to pay your live-in Filipino nanny regularly and provide a safe work and living environment. You must apply to the HRSDC; if you are approved, you will receive a letter of confirmation, and your offer of employment will be sent to the appropriate visa office abroad.

In order for your potential Filipino nanny to be approved, she must possess the following:
- A positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from an employer in Canada
- A written contract with a future employer
- Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
- At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
- Good knowledge of English or French
- A work permit before entering Canada

For more information about Canada’s Live-in Caregiver program, you can visit the Government of Canada’s website.